January at Fort SAND
"God reigns over the nations; God is seated on His holy throne." Psalm 47:8
WEEK 1: January 6- -Matthew 2 shows us that Jesus is the King of all Kings
- Day One- - Read Matthew 2:1-12.... Review the story that you discussed this week in children’s church and talk about the significance of the gifts that the wise men brought to Jesus and what they teach us about who He is and why He came to earth.
- Day Two- - Read Matthew 2:13-23.... This week, you’re going to look at the stories we have of Jesus as a child as we get ready to launch into His ministry next week. Talk about how going to Egypt & back to Nazareth both show God’s sovereign hand at work.
- Day Three- - Read Luke 2:21-40.... Compare what Simeon & Anna said about Jesus and talk about what it means that Jesus is “salvation” and “a light for revelation to the gentiles.”
- Day Four- - Read John 1:1-18.... As you read through this passage, make a graffiti style picture by filling a page with words that describe Jesus found in these verses.
- Day Five- - Read Luke 2:41-52.... Work together as a family to act out this story. Then, talk about what it means that Jesus was “in His Father’s House.
WEEK 2: January 13- -
Matthew 3, John 1 & Luke 1 and 3 help us see that Jesus is Lamb of God.....
Challenge Verse: 1 Corinthians 5:7b- - “For Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed.”
- Day One- - Read Matthew 3:1-12.... After reading through the story, act it out as a family. Look back at some of the OT prophets and see how John was giving the same message….repent!
- Day Two- - Read John 1:1-9.... Work as a family to make a graffiti style picture of what this passage teach us about who Jesus is. Also, make sure to notice what these verses tell us about John the Baptist and why he was sent ahead of Jesus.
- Day Three- - Read John 1:10-18.... Add to your picture from yesterday more truths about Jesus. Be sure to notice the truth that Jesus is eternal and He came into the world He had made and was rejected by His own people.
- Day Four- - Read Matthew 3:13-17.... Draw a picture of Jesus’ baptism from the different points of view...Jesus, John, God the Father & the Holy Spirit. Talk as a family about baptism and how baptism is a sign of following Jesus.
- Day Five- - Read Matthew 4:1-11.... Right after being baptized, Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted. Talk through the 3 temptations. Notice how Jesus always responded with Scripture. Make a list of verses you want to learn as a family.
WEEK 3: January 20- -Matthew 4, Mark 1 & Luke 4-6 teach us that Jesus changes people’s lives forever.....
Challenge verse: Matthew 16:24-25- - “Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone would come after me, he must deny Himself and take up His cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save His life will lose it, but whoever loses His life for me will find it.’”
- Day One- - Read Mark 1:14-20.... This week we’re going to focus on the beginning of Jesus’ ministry. Start working today on a journal or scrapbook of Jesus’ ministry and add to it pictures or thoughts from what you read each day.
- Day Two- - Read Matthew 4:18-22.... As you’re introduced to each of the disciples over the next couple of days, write character profiles of each of them...who they were before they met Jesus and how Jesus called them.
- Day Three- - Read Mark 2:13-17.... Play a simple game of ‘follow the leader’ as a family and talk about what it means to follow Jesus. What truth about why He came did Jesus share in this passage?
- Day Four- - Read John 1:35-42.... Add to your character profiles of the disciples. Talk as a family about the first thing Andrew did when he met Jesus. Talk about how this should be true of all of us when we meet Jesus.
- Day Five- - Read John 1:43-51.... After adding to your character profiles, talk about what other things (verse 50-51) Nathaniel would see as one of Jesus’ followers. (hint...look at Matthew 27-28 & Acts)
WEEK 4: January 27- -Luke 8 shows us that Jesus is the Great Healer....
Challenge verse: Isaiah 53:5- - “But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him.”
- Day One- - Read Luke 8:40-56.... After reading this passage, talk through the story and discuss the things you heard about this text in children’s church. Be sure to add a section to your scrapbook on Jesus’ miracles.
- Day Two- - Read Luke 8:26-39.... This week we’re looking at Jesus’ power and seeing Him as the Great Healer. Talk about who He healed in this story.
- Day Three- - Read Matthew 8:14-17.... Did you catch this week’s challenge verse in today’s passage? Work together as a family to come up with actions to help you learn the verse.
- Day Four- - Read Matthew 9:1-8.... Who did Jesus heal in this story? Talk about what He did before He healed the man physically? What does this teach us about the real reason Jesus came to earth?
- Day Five- - Read Romans 6:1-10.... This week we’ve seen Jesus heal many people, but the real reason He came was to heal people’s hearts and
make them alive with Him. Talk through this passage and what it means to have died with Christ.