The B-I-B-L-E ~~ Kids Need to Bring a Bible to Church
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word." Psalm 119:9
"I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11
As summer comes to a close it's time to start thinking about the new school year in Fort SAND. Those of you who have been around Fort SAND for a while, know that one vein that runs through all of our programs is a desire to see kids in the Word of God ~ reading it, studying, memorizing it and applying it to their lives. In order to do this, we believe that kids need to have a Bible to bring to church with them each week.
Each week in Fort SAND, kids age 4+ spend time digging into God's Word. Older kids look up supplemental verses to help them better understand the meaning of the text for the week as well as to see it in context. Younger readers are challenged to follow along with the story during large group and to read it again for themselves in small groups. And, even non-readers are given opportunities to find passages in the Bible and begin to become familiar with the layout and the story of the Bible, with lots of help from their small group leaders
As we spend time in the Word with the kids of UCCD, we want them to discover...
- That God reveals Himself to us in His Word.(Hebrews 1:2)
- That the Word teaches us that Jesus is the only way to have life. (John 20:31)
- That every word of the 66 books of the Bible was inspired by God and is useful for teaching, correcting, training and rebuking. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- That every word of the Bible is true. (Psalm 119:160)
- and most importantly we pray that time spent in the Bible will show the kids of UCCD that they are sinners in need of a Savior and that Jesus died on the cross taking the punishment that each of us deserve. (Romans 3:10-12, 23, Romans 6:23 & Romans 5:8)
With all of this in mind, please encourage your children to bring a Bible with them to church each week. We don't just want kids to get in habit of bringing their Bibles, but we actually want them to use them, and our curriculum makes sure that happens on a regular basis. We primarily use the NIV (and occasionally use the ESV) for our teaching in children's church, and memory verses are all taken from the NIV translation. One tool that we give the younger kids to help in their study of God's Word is their very own Bible bag. When the new tents (those who turn 4 before September 1) move up to large group the first week of September, they will be presented with their very own Bible bag to carry their Bible to church in each week.
The Bible Society has many different Bibles ranging in price from 20/- for plain NIV Bibles to 100/- for the "ESV Seek & Find Bible" which is a great study Bible for kids. Because kids often forget where they put their Bibles down, please clearly label their Bibles with their full names.